Valdosta is a prominent commercial center in South Georgia. The city is also home to numerous manufacturing facilities. The primary employers are Moody Air Force Base, Valdosta State University and South Georgia Medical Center. About 27% of the workforce are employed in management, professional and related occupations.
The region produces goods such as tobacco, naval stores, especially turpentine, pine lumber and pulpwood. The Georgia Department of Community Affairs reports that Valdosta is known as the "Naval stores capital of the world," due to supplying 80% of the world demand for naval stores.
The largest employers in the Valdosta region are provided below:
- Moody Air Force Base
- Valdosta State University
- South Georgia Medical Center
- Lowndes County School System
- Valdosta City School System
- Convergys Corporation
- City of Valdosta
- Yellow / Roadway Express (YRC)
- Lowndes County
- Wiregrass Technical College
The major sectors for employment in Valdosta are:
- Professional, scientific and technical services.
- Social services